Lake Stay is another of the four townships in Lincoln county the original records of which, up to the present time are unavailable, and we are therefore compelled to resort to the information furnished us by the very few old settlers now remaining and facts gleaned form biographies of some who have passed on.

It is generally conceded that the township and the lake within its borders received their names from one Frank Stay who was besieged by hostile Indians in an early day and who saved his life by hiding in the timber and brush along the shores of the lake, a more detailed description of which appears elsewhere in this history.

As a majority of the townships of Lincoln County were officially organized in the years 1879 and 1880, it is very probable that Lake Stay Township was organized in about the same period. As to whom were the prime movers in the township's organization we are unable to state definitely, but it is well established that H. E. Dean was the first treasurer and that C. L. Sinks succeeded him as treasurer. The former was treasurer in 1880 and the latter in 1881. Alvin H. Carpenter came to the township in 1877 when there were but two other families in the township, those of H. E. Dean and - Wells, and was chairman of the board of supervisors and treasurer several terms. James Francis Hosford came in 1881 and served the township as treasurer, supervisor and assessor respectively. Allen Fletcher came in 1879 and occupied the position of chairman of the board of supervisors for seven years and was also assessor, town clerk and justice of the peace. Edgar Orlando Jennings came in 1878 and was township assessor and county commissioner. Major Francis Woodard came in 1881 and was town clerk and justice of the peace. Amos Porter was also an early town clerk, treasurer and justice of the peace. Madison McCollum came in 1878 and was an early supervisor and assessor, as well as county commissioner.

It might also be related that Montreville Lafayette Dorwin came to the township in 1881 and purchased a farm on the north side of Dead Coon Lake. His farm was located only about half mile from he former home of Houkak, a brother of the noted Indian Chief, Little Crow. Houkak's log house stood in this position for years after the Sioux massacre. It is told that Little Crow often visited his brother at this home.

Lake Stay Township

Carpenter, Alvin H.

Dean, H. E.

Dorwin, Montreville Lafayette

Fletcher, Allen

Hosford, James Francis


Jennings, Edgar Orlando

Little Crow

McCollum, Madison

Porter, Amos

Sinks, C. L.

Stay, Frank


Woodard, Major Francis