According to the township records the first town meeting held in Marble township, called for the purpose of organizing same as a permanent political unit, was held at the home of Ole Severson on august 14, 1880. The meeting was called to order by William Parrott, moderator.
The moderator stated the business to be transacted was the election of three supervisors, one of the same to be designated upon the ballot as chairman; one town clerk, one treasurer, one justice of the peace, two constables and one road overseers for each road district within the township, and any other business that might properly come before the meeting.
On motion it was resolved that the compensation of the officers elected at the meeting should be one dollar for each day's service. The polls were then opened and the election of officers proceeded.
The following points were designated as places for posting public notices: Ole Severson's place on section 24, Wm. Parrott's place on section 2 and Andrew Anderson's place on section 8. The next town meeting (annual) was ordered to be held at Ole Severson's place on section 24. The polls were closed at five o'clock p. m. and the following officers declared elected upon vote being canvassed:
Wm. Parrott, chairman of board of supervisors; Ole Severson and Charles Ingebretson, supervisors by seven votes each; F. L. Mennie clerk and Rasmus O. Moen, treasurer, each by seven votes; Sever O. Moen, assessor; Charles O. Tolsted, justice of the peace; Zeroy Cooper and Ole Fladland, constables, all by seven votes each.
The minutes were signed by Wm. Parrott and Ole Severson, judges, and attested by F. L. Mennie, clerk. The meeting then was adjourned. (Aside from the name Marble, the township was sometimes called Voge. There are no available records to show how the township received the permanent name of Marble).
The first regular annual town meeting in the township was held at the home of Ole Severson on March 8, 1881. The meeting was called to order by F. L. Mennie and Wm. Parrott chosen moderator. After the moderator stated the purpose of the meeting it was resolved that the compensation of the officers elected at the meeting should be one dollar for each day'' service. A motion was made and carried to raise on hundred dollars for current township expenses and fifty dollars for bridge fund. The next annual town meeting was ordered to be held at the home of Sever Moen in section 22.
The polls were closed at five o'clock p. m., votes counted and the following officers declared elected:
Wm. Parrott, chairman of board of supervisors by 11 votes; Ole Severson and Isaac Peterson, supervisors by 11 votes each; F. L. Mennie, clerk by 11 votes; Wm. Parrott and Charles Tolstad, justices of the peace by 11 votes; Zeroy Cooper and Ole Fladland, constables by 11 votes each.
The minutes were signed by Wm. Parrott and Ole Severson, judges, and attested by F. L. Mennie, clerk.
At a meeting of the board of supervisors held at a later date the township was divided into four road districts with the following persons appointed as overseers: George Smith, district No. 1; A. Anderson, district No. 2; Charles Edwards, district 3; Thomas Olson, district 4.
Ole Severson is said to have been one of the first settlers in the township and came in 1870. The land on which he settled not having been surveyed at the time, he was unable to file on same until 1873. It is also stated that Sever Moen took the election returns for the first tow meeting held in the township to the county seat on foot, the round trip in each case being made in one day. We are also informed that Sever O. Moen's shanty was the first house erected between the Severson and Andrew Anderson creeks.
Tom Daly and family came to the township by covered wagon in 1872 and took a soldier's homestead in section 10.
The following data was furnished by A. J. Maserek, town clerk, in a letter to Gilbert I. Larson under date of September 23rd, 1905; After enumerating the list of the first township officers Mr. Maserek proceeds by stating that Samuel Lewison and Andrew Anderson were the first settlers in the township, arriving on June 15th, 1870, and settled in section 8. Ole Severson, accompanied by Jacob Dall, came to the township on September 30th, 1870, and settled in section 24.
Ole Swenson, John Dall and Ole Morton, in company, came to the township in an early day and were among the first settlers.
Larson, Gilbert I.
Maserek, A. J.
Mennie, F. L.
Moen, Rasmus O.
Moen, Sever O.
Tolsted, Charles O.